Thursday 22 March 2012

A guy called Sankt Patrick

There is a day in Ireland that seems to be much more special and sparkling than christmas, more important than the appointment of the president, even greener than my cats eyes (i miss you). 

Everybody is looking forward to THIS day for 364 days of the year and when it has finally arrived EVERYBODY goes crazy. I didn´t know what to expect really, heard something positive and something negative but Germany or probably just the lazy village I normally live is NOT celebrating this epic day. 


I did something wrong on THIS day. 


Probably for irish people it was worse than international terrorism, disbelieve in the fact that leprechauns exist or even me ordering a “Murphy” (irish beer, but made in Cork) in Dublin

I should have ordered a ´good old german beer´ because you normally get so many compliments here for just living in “beer-wonderland Germany”. For all the people who NOT like beer so much (as me): Don´t even think about mention this little fact! You play with your life!

Anyway… I did something wrong on THIS day! 

I didn´t wear green clothes. It´s not that I don´t like to dress up or didn´t want to. I just thought it was not necessary to look like a frog, a crocodile or the irish version of spiderman (gosh, I can NEVER watch it again, without thinking of this green latex suits). 

So I went into town with a very decent hairband (picture below) and felt like an alien on planet earth. In fact: not E. T. – he is green and sweet in a strange kind of way. 



I didn´t see a lot of the parade and the reason for that was not that I couldn´t take my eyes off Mr. Spiderman. It was just too crowed so I learned some rugby-rules instead. ( I still have no clue and I don´t want to say it´s because I´m a GIRL ).


Everybody was hyped to see the parade and everybody was drinking green Guinness, apart from me because I didn´t ordered one. I FORGOT! It was one of the biggest mistakes in my whole life. 
Well… seems like. But I got a Mocca in Butler´s Chocolate Coffee Shop instead (it´s cheaper, it´s browner and there is chocolate inside – so it was the better decision anyway…) 

To give you a short summary of this day:
The shamrocks rocked Paddy´s! Dancing to some Oldies in the night made my day! Irish music everywhere, people from everywhere everywhere, alcohol everywhere, laughter everywhere, happiness everywhere, LOVE everywhere. 


 


 That is the partying crowd!





 



 Why is this guy staring at me?






It was much fun with you girls!


And then … the next morning (after 3 hours sleep) my mind was actually not working anymore. What happened? I went to a big national festival without even knowing what I celebrated. Why were all these strange people wearing green? Why did hundred thousands of beer and (pretending) rain lovers came over to Ireland to celebrate this DAY OF THE YEAR? There has to be a reason why it´s called ST. PATRICK´S DAY? 

I googled and that is what the official website of St. Patrick´s Day 2012 told me:


Why was St. Patrick´s Day Festival started?
  • To offer a national festival that ranks amongst all of the greatest celebration in the world
  • To create energy and excitement throughout Ireland via innovation, creativity, grassroots involvement, and marketing activity
  • To provide the opportunity and motivation for people of Irish descent (and those who sometimes wish they were Irish) to attend and join in the imaginative and expressive celebrations
  • To project, internationally, an accurate image of Ireland as a creative, professional and sophisticated country with wide appeal.


WHAT!?!?!?

Where is the hero I celebrate for saving life’s or rescuing a girl from a dragon (I wouldn´t mind if it was a giant because it´s Ireland)? Where is the prince on his white horse? Where is the politician getting his ass out of his office to fight on the battlefield instead of JUST giving the command?

You think I live in a bubble of dreams? Probably…

So who is that fella? Who is that guy St. Patrick´s Day is named after?
Well… his name is Saint Patrick (obviously). He was the first christian missionary, who is the most generally recognized patron saint of Ireland or the Apostle of Ireland

Thank you Wikipedia for giving me a reason to celebrate a person. 

For me it´s not about the religion in anyway. 

BUT isn´t a missionary´s function to go to another (strange, maybe far away) country to tell these people what he believes in and what their life´s could be like if they did and tries to adapt into these stranger´s world as good as he can WITHOUT losing his faith into his own options and life. 

Isn´t that what it could be about (without seeing the religious site of it)?

Going out in this huge world without losing yourself! 

For me St. Patrick´s Day was more than just green Guinness and latex. 

It remembered me to be JUST ME as good as I can be every day in this far away land! (… and to be careful of buying Butler´s Chocolate Mocca ´cause it can storm your brain).

Think about it.
Love, Anni


P. S. Do something you love every day! 
P. S. 2: Troll below?

No comments:

Post a Comment